Sunday, April 6, 2014

Post Service

The theme I noticed the most across my experience with both Arabic families was that the Arabic stereotype does not do them justice. The way people in America think and perceive Muslims or Arabians is typically in a negative way due to 9/11. They have the common stereotype of being terrorists, so you would think these people would be ignorant or mean. However, these families we worked with were some of the nicest and strongest people I have ever met, diminishing my racism and increasing my respect for their culture. Their values and behaviors represent their friendliness and politeness to everyone who walks into their home. I had never been treated so nicely walking into a strangers home as I did with these families. Also, their stories and descriptions of the day to day struggles them and millions of other Arabians face in their country shocked me. I knew it was bad due to the war but I was dumbfounded by the severity of it and for this, I respect these people more than anyone I know. All in all, the lesson learned throughout my service was that stereotypes are cruel and we should never judge a book by its cover.

This experience will and has shaped my future interpersonal interactions by being able to observe other culture's values through their social practices in a more effective way rather than making assumptions and seeing them based off of their stereotype. The experience has shaped me as a better person and has greatly increased my communication skills all together. With future interactions I will be able to use these skills I have become accustomed to throughout this experience, especially dealing with the BASIC's and nonverbal communication. I will also be able to look deeper into the individual instead of making judgments and I will be more confident to take small actions to make a difference in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment