Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pre-Service

1. My hopes for the service learning project is to get to closely know the Al Qays, which is the family we will be working with. I want to get to know them on a personal level in order to truly understand intercultural communication. I think it will be extremely interesting to learn about them and their culture and really try to help them adapt to their new living situation.
2. My assumptions about my learning site are actually very unclear. I do not know what to expect in this situation other than what Kelly has told us in class. However, I do know it will be a safe environment and I am anxious to see what it is like.
3. The family we are serving is Arabic. I know that there is a child and a mother and father. I went to high school with a great amount of Arabians, so I have a little insight but not much. I've learned that many Arabians normally live with not only their immediate family but also cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc. Otherwise, I do not know much else about the population they serve but I cannot wait to find out.
4. I would love to make connections with the son. I would like to build a relationship with him because I have always enjoyed working with children. I am passionate in teaching children and I hope to help the Al Qay's son with adjusting to America and schooling in America because I know it will be a lot different for him. I also think it will be very interesting to help the mother with her english skills since teaching is a passion of mine. Although I am excited to teach and help the Al Qay family, I am thrilled to learn from them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment